acer aspire one - gnome rsolution problem :-(

Hi

I'm batteling to get the correct display resolution in gnome for my
acer aspire one. In the display settings "system > prefrences >
hardware > screen resolution " the highest option I get is 1024 x 600.

system-config-display allow me to configure to 1024 x 768 which is the
correct max but these setting don't take effect. I assume gnome
nolonger uses /etc/X11/xorg.conf for its settings as thishas no effect
at all.

Over to the gnome gurus please help .. having apps that disapear off
the screen just no nice ...

thanks .