Q's for senior fedora/redhat admins

Terry Polzin foxec208 at wowway.com
Wed Feb 11 01:48:46 UTC 2009

On Tuesday February 10 2009, laura at ausics.net wrote:
> This question is only for those who are in the decision making processes
> of Fedora.
>
> For the others, please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm simply just
> not interested in the personal views of the list membership, I know this
> will still attract those trolls who simply can't help themselves and need
> to make their comments, but unless you reply with a @redhat or @fedora
> email you will be ignored, sorry if it sounds harsh, but thats the way it
> is.
>

> After using Fedora and Ubuntu for a couple of years, I am wondering about
> Fedoras' future, so I have some questions to help me decide.
>
> Q1, taking into account Fedoras political and legal worries about patents
> and codecs, the stuff thats commonly used by everyone who don't care about
>  and are not subject to U.S laws, will Fedora versions in the future offer
> something like Ubuntu, where as there is a "restricted" installed by
> default repo, to get codecs like playing a MP3 or movie, or automatically
> get and install wireless firmware/drivers, detecting whats needed, and
> popping up a warning that it might be illegal to use this where you live
> blah blah blah do you accept risks click OK  and it goes and gets and
> installs whatever it is, just like ubuntu does?

Probably not.
> Q2, Will Fedora release a LTS (long term support) version that is
> supported for 3 years or so, just like Ubuntu.
No that's not the model, see the thread entitled "why I want to stop using
fedora"  Botton line, there are alternatives to the Fedora " Bleeding Edge"
either live with it, run you're favorite Fedora version until it won't run
any more (personally test for me is F10 on my personal laptop, F8 is my home
desktop, F6 is a webserver of sorts and I run CentOs 5 on my machines at
work), or move on.