Re: automount of filesystem by label

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Tod Thomas wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Dumb question - what error message do you get when you try do "cd
/misc/sata1"? Automount does not mount anything until you try to
access it. It does not mount your drive just because you plugged it in.

Mikkel
No such file or directory, and that's doing a "cd /mnt/sata1" - I always
mount to mnt, I just reused the /etc/auto.misc file.

Oops - you are correct - I missed the change. If I remember
correctly, the mount points need to exist - automount does not
create them.

Mikkel
As it turns out there were two problems. The first was a typo. The second was trying to use -L to automount the partition by label. Instead in auto.misc I needed:

sata1   -fstype=ext3   :/dev/disk/by-label/SATA1
sata2   -fstype=ext3   :/dev/disk/by-label/SATA2

/dev/disk/by-label?  How long has that been around?

Thanks Mikkel for helping out.

- Tod