Re: Q's for senior fedora/redhat admins

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 01:48:19AM +0000, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
> 2009/2/11  <laura ausics net>:
> > Q1 will Fedora versions in the future offer
> > something like Ubuntu, where as there is a "restricted" installed b
> > default repo, to get codecs like playing a MP3 or movie, or
> Multimedia is already done - it's called Codeina - go read about it.
> Wireless - sorted by using better open drivers (e.g. new Broadcom and
> Atheros code)

Actually, Codeina was dropped in favor of even better and
vendor-neutral functionality in PackageKit.

> > Q2, Will Fedora release a LTS (long term support) version that is
> > supported for 3 years or so, just like Ubuntu.
> That's RHEL and/or CentOS and it's a heck of a lot longer than 3 years.

It's 7 years actually.  I run CentOS on a home server, and Fedora on
my workstations.

> > windows does it, ubuntu does it even for Q1 after accepting the warning,
> > but Fedora won't.
> Your perceptions are wrong and you are not educating people correctly
> for reasons above. Fedora doesn't seem to need saving as it's
> community is just as vibrant and diverse as Ubuntu's - I follow both.

Yes, any perception that somehow Fedora needs saving is plainly
ignoring the explosive growth of our community, the advancement of
technical features that we make available for *all* distributions (the
open source way, you know), and the statistics we produce *openly and
transparently* and publish on our wiki[1] (as opposed to making them
up, and hoping everyone repeats them on our say-so).  We have an
incredibly vast and energetic community of which people who only use
the distribution might not be fully aware.  That's why we encourage
people to get involved.[2]

> (Disclaimer: RHEL licence holder, Fedora user, but this EEE PC 701 is
> running an Ubuntu variant - so there =oP)

Disclaimer:  I use a @gmail.com address that I've had since GMail
started, but I'm also a Red Hat employee.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics
[2] http://join.fedoraproject.org/