Re: Testing out USB mic

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 07:36:13AM +0000, Lalit Dhiri wrote:

> ---------------------------------------
> > Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:51:33 -0500
> > From: rgm htt-consult com
> > To: fedora-list redhat com
> > Subject: Testing out USB mic
> >
> > I have a Plantronics DSP-400 headset on a FC10 system that I am using
> > for testing with SIP Communicator.
> >
> > How can I test the microphone on the headset to see if it is working in
> > the system?
> >

> You could use Sound Recorder found in Applications> Sound &
> Video. Just ensure the mixer volume levels are set correctly for the
> USB headset.

I've found that I sometimes need to also check the underlying ALSA
mixers using the "alsamixer" command.  Often the USB headset I've
plugged in after boot is now the second sound device, so counting from
zero, I need to use "alsamixer -c 1" to see its settings.  Once I have
them set, I can use "alsactl store 1" (as root) to make the settings
persistent for the next time I plug the USB headset in.

This strange usability situation should be greatly relieved by the
unified PulseAudio volume control work that Lennart Poettering is
doing for Fedora 11:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VolumeControl
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/WritingVolumeControlUIs