Feature Proposal: Rolling Updates (was Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!)

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Feb 11 16:08:10 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Feature Proposal: Rolling Updates (was Re: WHY I WANT TO
STOP	USING FEDORA!!!)
From: Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org>
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora.
<fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: 02/11/2009 10:04 AM

> I'd really like to see Fedora work more toward
> streamlining the 'upgrade' process online instead of relying on DVD
> ISOs, etc.

Already done. As of Fedora 10, PackageKit will offer a Fedora 10 ->
Fedora 11 upgrade when Fedora 11 is released. This will be done from now
on. It uses preupgrade for the magic.

I've been using yum, and now preupgrade, to go from Fedora to Fedora for
multiple releases now. I've never had to reinstall or download an ISO.