Re: Please help! Lost my LVM VG...

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

>>> I think the OP wants his VG to activate without the need for him
>>> to give the root password at each boot and mess around running
>>> commands by hand :)
>>>
>>> Bryn.
>>>
>> I thought that running "vgchange -ay VolTerabytes00" would have
>> modified /etc/lvm/cache/.cache so that the VG would stay active. (I
>>

> The cache is revalidated each time the tools run. If VGs are only
> being activated at boot when listed in that file, it's a bug.
>
>> think I have the correct file.) This one reason the / file system had
>> to be remounted rw.
>
> No. Type 1 locking (local file based locks stored in /var) failed to
> initialise because the directory /var/lock/lvm was not writable.
>
> Regards,
> Bryn.

Strange - /var/lock/lvm is empty, and its date does not correspond
to the last boot time. The date on the directory, as well as
/etc/lvm/cache/.cache match up to when LVM was last updated.

On the other hand, I may be wrong about a file being updated. It
looks like there may be a bit set on the LV itself. (I am going to
have to refresh my memory.) After further reading, the OP could have
run the command without remounting / rw. He could have run:

vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure VolTerabytes00

In any case, it would be interesting to have the OP reboot, and see
if the VG is active on reboot.

Mikkel