I can't disable my touchpad again...

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Thu Feb 12 22:01:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 09:17 -0700, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 10:01 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>

> > > I find that a heavy handed approach for the problem at hand. Its time
> > > for either the touchpad button or ksynaptics to just work.
> >
> > I don't disagree.  I'm just offering the suggestion for getting it
> > working in the short run.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > Another message in the thread indicates that the ksynaptics issue may be
> > a bug.  In any case, I've seen some discussion about how to manage the
> > SHMConfig issue in a sustainable way.  So it is being worked on, AFAIK.
>
> Could you share where you've seen this discussed and who is working on
> the issue ?

I think it was on fedoral-devel or fedora-test, but I don't recall
exactly.  Search for syantpics threads over the last couple of months on
those lists.

> > BTW, I don't see why modifying xorg.conf is any less "heavy handed" than
> > creating /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-synaptics.fdi.  You're just used to one
> > and not the other.
>
> Agreed.  Unfortunately, I am experienced at modifying xorg.conf files.
> Actually, I have also done some HAL rules as well.
>
> >   But neither should be necessary; there should be a
> > user-accessible configuration tool to do whatever is required.
>
> Agreed.

Good 8^).  Some of the "we've always done it this way--coddling users is
bad" arguments get kind of tedious after a while...

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu