FC6 and samba update

Hi all, I have a Fedora 6 production server in a pc refurb company that process about 1000 different pcs a day. We use pxeboot for most everything. I keep getting issues with samba locking on files, then crashing. I want to upgrade to a newer version of samba to try and rectify this issue. Can I use a rpm from fedora 8 or 10 and it still work? This server doesn’t have internet access so it would be local installs

Thank you in advance