Re: [ot] end 'community ass'

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 02:33 +0000, g wrote:
> when suggestion was made to make change to,
>
> "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora"

To be honest, I don't know what the point is of putting that there.
It's in the "TO" header.  That's no use to NEW posters, and pointless to
the rest of us already here.  And probably won't even be seen by a lot
of people who don't have "to" addresses showing in the *list* of
messages that they look through.

Besides, it's a *description*, where one expects to find a *name*.
There is actually a standard that goes like this:

"display name" <address> (comments)
e.g. "John Doe" <jd example com> (managing director)

Where only the pointy bracketed data is the address that the mail system
cares about, and the rest is for human consumption.

But it's still rather stupid to put all that dribble *anywhere* in the
"to" address.

--
[tim localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.12-78.2.8.fc9.i686