Advice on changing to 64 bits

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 16:00:14 UTC 2009

Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
> Up to last week, I had Fedora running in subsequent versions 2 or so to
> 10 on my old Pentium 4 system.
>
> Now I have a rather recent new desktop computer with much of the latest
> and greatest hardware: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 with 4 GB RAM, harddrive
> with lots of Gagabytes and so on.
>
> Thinking about changing to 64 bits architecture (I have the i386
> installation dvd, but not yet the i86_64 one), I was astonished how
> little I found on pros and cons. So what would you advise?
>
> 1. Changing to 64 bits is a must for you.
> 2. You will benefit from it.
> 3. Keep your hands off, stay with 64 bits.
> 4. ...
>
> I should mention that I want to use virtualization (KVM, VMware Server),
> and that the processor has Intel's hardware vitualization capabilities.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
> Klaus

Something to note, I don't know why but the 64-bit versions of Firefox
and Thunderbird use a lot more memory than the 32-bit versions,  I was
originally running a 32-bit f9 with 3GB ram w/2GB swap, and almost
never got into swap, after switching to 10 64-bit, I had to add 2GB
more of swap and was getting deep into the 4GB of swap, I uninstalled
64-bit firefox/openoffice and thunderbird and put in the 32-bit
version and the memory usage went down quite a bit.   The memory usage
was a at least 50% more.