Re: Advice on changing to 64 bits

On 02/14/2009 10:52 AM, Joshua C. wrote:
It is supposed to be faster than 32 bit but as a human you'll barely
see any difference if at all.
Actually, I did a number of (unofficial) benchmarks a while ago when I worked for partner engineering at HP. While most of the benchmarks ran well at 64-bit, one of my partner's tested their applications and found their 32-bit versions were significantly faster (I think this one was on HP-UX, but may have been Linux). Additionally, we found on the Digital Alpha that there were some applications that were slower in 64-bits. The Alpha was a full 64-bit chip with no native 32-bit mode. For the most part, the personal workstation as you point out, won't make too much of a different. Just remember that a 64-bit OS can address the full 4GB of the OP's system where a 32-bit OS must use PAE to access over 3GB. This restriction only comes into play if you have a very memory intensive application.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf blu org>
Boston Linux and Unix