Re: please explain yum list to me...

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 08:11 -0700, Linuxguy123 wrote:

> I don't understand why the CLI is mangling *synaptics*.   Yum, written
> in Python, should get an argv that is *synaptics*.    This needs to be
> looked into.   As far as I am concerned, this is a bug.

It isn't. Certain characters are interpreted by the Shell before the
application even sees the command line. If that isn't what you want then
you have to escape the metacharacter(s), using \, "" or '' (there are
important differences in how each of these works).

This is how all Unix shells have always worked. 'info bash' for more
detail, especially the section on Shell Expansions.

poc