Custom Keyboard layout in KDE 4.2

Hello there,

I'm using a customized version of the German Dvorak layout and I would
like KDE4 to use that. It used to work in KDE3 where I would just copy
my customized xkb_symbols into the de symbols file and edit a lst file
in xkb/rules.. (I've used
http://hektor.umcs.lublin.pl/~mikosmul/computing/articles/custom-keyboard-layouts-xkb.html
for reference). Now that doesn't seem to work anymore.

What I'd really like to do though is to add the custom layout in a new
file so I can link it to a symbols file in my home directory. Is there
a description of how to do that for KDE4 somewhere?

regards
/W