xdg-screensaver not working

Hi,

I've tried to use xdg-screensaver many times with KDE 4 but it has never worked.
I am on Fedora 9.

This is the output

[andrea thinkpad ~]$ xdg-screensaver status
call failed
ERROR:  kdesktop KScreensaverIface isEnabled returned ''

or

[andrea thinkpad ~]$ xdg-screensaver activate
call failed

I might have read once that it does not work with KDE 4, but I might as well have stopped some
service that it needs to run.

anybody had any success?