Where is my desktop?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun Feb 15 19:47:16 UTC 2009

On Sunday 15 February 2009 15:14:01 Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> Thanks.
> >> A bit ashamed to ask, but how do I add this "widget"?
> >
> > Right-click on the desktop, select "Add Widgets...". Select "Folder
> > View", press "Add Widget". It should now appear on your Workplace.
>
> Thanks again.
> I've done that, and I do indeed get my home directory on the screen.
>
> I see that my ~/Desktop seems to be empty, I'm not sure why.
> I guess I need trash.desktop, etc, there.

Trashcan is another widget, added in the same way :-)

You should bookmark http://userbase.kde.org, as well, for help on settling in
to things that have changed.  In particular, I'd suggest that you have a good
read of http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials for overview and
http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/File_Management for getting the best out of
Dolphin.

There's very little now that you could do in KDE3 but can't in KDE4, but often
it's done differently, so ask  if you need help.

Anne