Re: How to safely migrate from centOS to fedora 10

On 02/16/2009 09:44 AM, kmadananteshwar vbhat gmail com wrote:
Hey folks I am a centOS user who's been running fedora off a live DVD for the past 4 months and am beginning to want to migrate to fedora and would like to know how exactly do I migrate to fedora safely without messing around with my windows vista installation coz I need vista because I use it at work and would be in deep trouble if I screwed up the master boot record of vista and also coz I have a lot of important data on the windows partition
That happens to be exactly what I did.
When you are installing Fedora, when you go to the first partitioning screen, select
"Remove Linux Partitions on Selected drives..."

Select the physical drive you are installing to (ie: SDA)

The most important thing is to make sure the following is checked.
"Review and modify partitioning layout"

Once you do this, you will be taken through the partitioner, and you can then select what partitions to format, and what will be your mount points. Assuming that you want to replace CentOS, then you will probably format the root and boot partitions. You can dual boot Fedora or Centos with Vista. But, I would suggest you google a bit to make sure.

Another solution is to install a virtual memory manager (such as VirtualBox) under Vista and run Fedora as a Virtual Machine.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf blu org>
Boston Linux and Unix