Re: myqsl dummy needs help

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 15:38 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> webmin not available according to yum.
>
> Ok, so I rip it out again, only this time I run a script that searches the
> locate database for mysql and deletes all the leftovers before I reinstall.
>
> Would that help?  Something is obviously completely fubar.
----
turned out that I had to start mysqld before running...

mysqladmin - u root password 'new-password'

after that, it was no problem connecting

# mysqladmin -u root password 'test'
[root lin-workstation httpd]# mysql -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 5
Server version: 5.0.67 Source distribution

mysql> \q
Bye

webmin (rpm and/or tarball) is available at http://www.webmin.com

Craig