g++ -save-temps mess

I recently went from FC8 to FC9.
Since then commands like g++ -save-temps main1.cc
give me .s files with names like main1.tmp.localhost.localdomain.2918.s
and don't give me any preprocessed source at all.
What is going on?
How do I fix it?

I'm sure the messy .s file names are useful for people
doing really interesting things with file organization.
I am not.

--
Michael   hennebry web cs ndsu NoDak edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.