Disabling mouse taps on Fedora 10

Linux Media linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Tue Feb 17 16:28:56 UTC 2009

 >>> I've spent the whole day googling and looking at the Fedora List
 >>> Archives. All I need to do is disable mouse taps in my mouse pad.
 >>> I've edited /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi
 >>> over and over, but apparently, I don't know the syntax or how it
 >>> really all works. And all I got was fragmented pieces of information
 >>> from my research. I would like to adhere to the new approach to
 >>> configuring hardware. I'm assuming that creating an xorg.conf file
 >>> just confuses things and doesn't address the new way of doing
 >>> things.
 >>>
 >>> Ok, so does anyone know how to correctly edit an FDI file to disable
 >>> mouse taps (and which file)? Or is there a better way?

 >> follow the instructions here
 >>
 >> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=206814

 > You don't need to do any of that.   All you need to do is:
 >
 > a) yum install xorg-x11-drv-synaptics
 > b) synclient TouchpadOff=1
 >
 > I am writing a Qt GUI to interface with synclient as we speak.
 >
 > LG

yum list xorg-x11-drv-synaptics reveals that it was installed all along.
It didn't work until I copied a previous xorg.conf file to /etc/X11 and
added in the InputDevice section (among other things)...

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Synaptics"
	Driver      "synaptics"
	Option      "SHMConfig" "on"