Re: myqsl dummy needs help

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 16 February 2009, Mike Wright wrote:
locate mysql | grep '/bin/' | grep install
/usr/bin/mysql_install_db
/usr/bin/mysql_secure_installation

The secure installer asks me for my root pw then tells me to just press enter
Enter current password for root (enter for none):
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
Enter current password for root (enter for none):

So I ctl-c it and run the install_db, which gets me back to the selinux & its used bull food leavings.

Do I need to touch /.autorelabel and reboot? With 2TB of drives I can't begin to describe how painful that 4 hours would be.

Or go file a bug against selinux and mysql?

Frustration reigns supreme here. If I have to reboot, it might just be to Kubuntu-8.10 or a beta of 9.4.

At this point, if you have VM capable hardware, I would suggest using KVM and a virtual machine for trial runs on stuff like this. You can make a copy-on-write image, and if it gets hosed delete it and start again. Great way to avoid the backout process.

Added that (selinux) list to To: Daniel, your turn, it's 18:05 here, and I've been screwing with this since about 18:00 yesterday. That is long enough IMO. This thread has a now VERY lengthy thread on the fedora list.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>