Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!

Dave Ihnat wrote:
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:56:09PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Actually, AT&T Unix was free - I don't think they were allowed to sell it.
We acquired Unix edition 5 but never got it to run
because it didn't have drivers for the computer we were using (pdp-11/23).

They couldn't sell it initially, but eventually--I believe the first
commercial release was System III, around 1982 or so, based on research
version 7--yes, they did.  The non-commercial versions were "research
Unix".  And commercial Unix Wasn't Cheap.

I remember toggling in the v7 boot instructions on the switches of a PDP-11, and then it booted off tape. I never ran Sys-III on really big iron, but I did on PCs, IBM's "PC-IX" for the XT (and later AT) was Sys-III based. I wish I could find a copy of that now, I'd copy those lovely 5-1/4 floppies to disk images and run them under KVM.

I bought a copy of System V Release 4 (SVR4) from Dell around 1992 or
so at the then-unbelievably-cheap price of $1100.  Loaded with goodies
from GNU.  And felt tickled to get a full Unix system at that price.

I still have the Dell tapes sitting here, and one old 486 system running that o/s if I boot it again. I'd pull the data off the hard drive and scrap the hardware if Linux would talk to SCSI controller and knew the V.4 partition setup. :-(

The good old days.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat