Re: X locks up with Intel Q45/Q43

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Alessandro Boggiano <boggiano gmail com> wrote:
Hi all,
I have a big problems with my Dell Optiplex 780 and KDE 4.2. (FC10).

Here the beahvior:
If I don't use any xorg.conf file, and let the system probes the hw,
the monitor enters in power save and the computer locks up (not always but VERY OFTEN).
(no answers at all, I can't even ssh in it!)

So I used system-config-display in order to generate a xorg.conf file.

Everything works fine until I enable  desktop effects.
The problem is that the graphic is really choppy: often,
I have to close and reopen  a window several times in order to see it correctly.

I have read this
and I tried to add le line:
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
but no luck at all!

And right now,while I'm typing, X is locked up and I can see (in ssh) in /var/log/Xorg.0.log a lot of these:

[mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
[mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.

The GPU is an Intel Q45/Q43 (using driver intel)
and the monitor is a DELL E178FP.

What else can I try?

I had the same problem as yours and ended up
hooking an nvidia card in my box. However,
I heard that the modifications below can activated the 3D engine.
Just use the appropriate resolution for your case. It may help:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option     "Tiling" "False"

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600"

Paulo Roma Cavalcanti