X locks up with Intel Q45/Q43

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 09:12:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Alessandro Boggiano <boggiano at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a big problems with my Dell Optiplex 780 and KDE 4.2. (FC10).
>
> Here the beahvior:
> If I don't use any xorg.conf file, and let the system probes the hw,
> the monitor enters in power save and the computer locks up (not always but
> VERY OFTEN).
> (no answers at all, I can't even ssh in it!)
>
> So I used system-config-display in order to generate a xorg.conf file.
>
> Everything works fine until I enable  desktop effects.
> The problem is that the graphic is really choppy: often,
> I have to close and reopen  a window several times in order to see it
> correctly.
>
> I have read this
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-Performance#Desktop_Effects_causes_random_freezes
> and I tried to add le line:
> Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
> but no luck at all!
>
> And right now,while I'm typing, X is locked up and I can see (in ssh) in
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log a lot of these:
>
> [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
> [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
>

> The GPU is an Intel Q45/Q43 (using driver intel)
> and the monitor is a DELL E178FP.
>

> What else can I try?

I had the same problem as yours and ended up
hooking an nvidia card in my box. However,
I heard that the modifications below can activated the 3D engine.
Just use the appropriate resolution for your case. It may help:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "intel"
*        Option     "Tiling" "False"*
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
*                Modes    "1280x800" "1024x768"* *"800x600"*
        EndSubSection
EndSection

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti