Re: KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 15:02 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan gmail com> wrote:

> >> If it matters, akonadi was designed to be DE-independent, with no kde
> >> dependencies (other than qt).
> >
> > Is this because it uses qt to talk to the other KDE apps? Just curious.
> >
> > More to the point, my comment isn't about the relative merits of the
> > various technologies. It's more in the sense that choice can carry costs
> > which we may not always be aware of.
>

> What cost are you considering there? The extra secondary storage bits
> used by an additional database? I do not believe that simply having a
> multiple databases increases MySQLs load.

That's not what I meant. There is a complexity cost in having N
subsystems, each of which implements 90% of the funcionality of the
other N-1, but a different 90%. That complexity cost can translate to a
stability cost and a security cost. There's also a cost in the effort
required to create and maintain these systems, not to mention keeping
them up to date on every host that uses them.

poc