font problem in Fedora 10/Thunderbird

I just installed Fedora 10 (from FC7) on a Toshiba laptop. When reading email in Thunderbird, the fonts now look rather weak and frail and are rather hard to read. When composing email the fonts are just fine. This is probably pretty simple to fix, but I've looked on FAQ's high and low and can't find the problem. Also, I have tried changing settings in Edit>Preferences>Display, and this too does not work. If this post is off topic (i.e. a thunderbird post) then my apologies. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Robert Singleton