multi-boot and grub

My dual-boot box had FC8 and Windows XP on the same drive.
I installed FC9 on another internal drive, attempting a triple boot.
I can get FC9 and XP, but not FC8.
Editing /boot/grub/grub.conf has not given me any joy.
I can still boot the others, but trying to boot FC8 gives me
error 13.  I think that is file format not recognized.
Chainloading is always being sorry.

At first, the FC8 boot partition as not marked bootable.
It is now.

What is the magic formula to make this work?
Is there a way to get grub to tell me where it's looking for what?

--
Michael   hennebry web cs ndsu NoDak edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.