Partition XP disk to add F-10 -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 19 19:48:42 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 14:10 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I've acquired a computer with a 40 gig hard drive with
>> one NTFS partition and XP installed.  Can I somehow repartition
>> it to reduce the XP partition to a minimum using the F-10 live cd?
>> Or should I forget that and install an additional drive for F-10?
>>
> ----
> 40 Gb is not very large. I wouldn't suggest that you have XP with too
> much less than 20 Gb but the installer can indeed shrink the NTFS
> partition on the fly during installation and use the space made
> available for Linux.
>
> I would suggest that you use the Windows tools to 'defragment' the XP
> installation first unless that is a fairly clean, unused XP
> installation.
>
> Craig

Yes, I already ran the "defrag" on Xp and it found nothing
to do as I expected since it is a new install on a used box.
I have no use for Windows but I keep throwing Windows installations
away and it seemed like I ought to keep one.  It also came with
an re-installation cd which I assume would permit me to rescue
the windows install if I hose it, should I want to.

I was thinking more like 10 gigs for Windows.  It doesn't occupy
but a small part of the drive now and I don't plan on using it for
anything ...

I didn't realize the Fedora installer could re-size the Windows partition
but I will have a try at it.

Thanks.

Bob