Disabling mouse taps on Fedora 10 (solved)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Feb 21 00:16:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 18:20 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> > Thanks, but I did a lot of research prior to figuring this out and the
> > consensus is that Fedora 10 left out xorg.conf for a reason and that it
> > is not a good idea to use that approach anymore because it conflicts
> > with the new approach.
> >
> No, the "reason" was that someone decided that it wasn't needed and someone
> might screw it up if they had it. The Windows "we know what you want on your
> computer" approach. Trust me, for some hardware configurations you absolutely
> need it, the autoconfig simply isn't up to properly handling some displays.
>
> > You must have missed the long thread (this thread) that's been going on
> > with this discussion.
> >
> You didn't see my name in them? About 30% of my hardware works less than
> optimally (or not at all) w/o xorg.conf. I believe (based on what I read) it's
> also needed to allow connecting a monitor to a netbook as well, otherwise you
> have to boot with the monitor connected and powered up every time to have it
> configured.
----
The 'autoconfig' approach as you term it is not about Windows - it's
about ease of use. When the system just works as you change hardware
it's a lot easier for the end user than having to send the user into say
runlevel 3, system-config-display --reconfig and then reboot.

The great thing about Linux is that if it doesn't work for you, you can
be part of the solution by reporting your issues through systems like
bugzilla, detail your hardware and the issues it presents so they can
implement the necessary code so it does work in the future.

Yes, it's not perfect. I notice that on my Acer Aspire One netbook, if I
boot up in Windows without having the monitor connected, it doesn't work
all that well either so I'm not convinced that there's much of a
difference. What I can do in Windows that I'm seemingly incapable of
doing on F10 is to create a virtual screen larger than the actual
1024x600 and I would be grateful if someone could hit me with the clue
stick here.

Craig