qemu-kvm: qns regarding network and usb keyboard setup

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Feb 21 04:18:08 UTC 2009

suvayu ali wrote:
> 2009/2/17 Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>:
>> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>> Even if the grab wasn't released by Ctrl+Alt, the key would still be
>>> intercepted by the host. This happens at X11 level, so the key doesn't
>>> even
>>> reach applications such as QEMU-KVM.
>>>
>> I have no idea what you mean here, sequences such as Cntl-Alt-2 (control
>> console) certainly do reach QEMU and bring the expected response. That they
>> go through the driver, kernel, X11, and for all I know Paris is detail, the
>> point is that these sequences do pass through unless some higher level acts
>> on them.
>>
>> To the O.P.: sure, the secret is the Alt-Cntl-2 escape which takes you to
>> the QEMU monitor. There you can send what you want (type help) which is
>>  sendkey Cntl-Alt-f2
>> to change to a non-X terminal.
>>
> Thanks Bill this worked wonderfully. I noticed that I missed this on
> the man page after I went through them again after reading your post.
>
> However my arrow keys still don't work as it usually does on regular
> consoles. I tried using it in the QEMU monitor, and it worked there.
> So I tried this, "sendkey up" this _did_ send the up arrow signal to
> the terminal I had opened in the GUI. So do I have to do this every
> time? Are there other ways to set it up to make it work the way I want
> to?

That is another problem, and I haven't seen it. My arrow keys go right through.
both the labeled keys and the ones on the numeric keypad.Just retested, works in
both a window and full screen, so I can't offer any suggestions.

> This is the first time I am playing around with VMs. Thanks for
> bearing with my dumb questions. :)

I spent a long time figuring out how to do this stuff, back in the FC6+build
your own kernel days. If I can help someone else miss some of the pain, it's
just payback for all the people who have helped me with other things.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>