Extending Expiration Date of an Already-Expired GPG Key

My gpg key expired last month and I didn't notice it till today. I used
gpg --edit-key to extend the expiration date by a year, then I sent it
to one of the key servers, subkeys.pgp.net. Is this an acceptable
practice? Google searches yielded a few comments suggesting that an
expired key could be revoked and a new key generated. I'm unsure what
accepted practice is.

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA