MCE Remote Control

I got a cheap MCE remote control (usb interface), and thought I'd give it a try. After reading the lirc documentation, my brain exploded, so I thought I'd just plug the sucker in and see what happened.

Well, what happened is that the keyboard stopped working along with the mouse buttons. So, I stopped X and plugged the receiver in. Now I could see that some devices got created in /dev/input, namely "event4", "event5", and "mouse1". Doing lsusb showed me that two new usb devices existed, a HID keyboard, and a HID mouse.

So, can someone give me a clue as to how to proceed in getting this thing to be useful?

Thanks,

John