Re: Easiest Way To Move Thunderbird Mail Folders To Another Computer?

Robert L Cochran wrote:
I have a .thunderbird email client folder on a Fedora 7 x86_64 system
that I need to move to a Fedora 10 x86 system. It occurs to me that if I
move this, and then start thunderbird on the new system, I might have
trouble because of 64-bit code. Also trouble with updating Enigmail. I

There should be noting specific to 32-bit or 64-bit in your .thunderbird directory. I know, I upgraded an FC6.i386 system to F9.x86_64 and my Thunderbird just plain continued to work.

want to be sure I can sign and encrypt email messages. Am I better off
just moving

.thunderbird/[salt].default/Mail/*
.thunderbird/[salt].default/abook.mab

You could just move the entire .thunderbird/[salt].default directory lock stock and barrel (AFAIK). Make sure you edit the .thunderbird/profiles.ini file to properly reflect your default profile.

What file(s) store the email account information?

They are all buried down in the profile directory structure.

Or, to make a long story short, can I just tar up all of .thunderbird
and not worry about conflicts on the 32-bit system?

That's my thought.  Good luck!

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

--