Re: current state of ati graphics

Ian Malone wrote:
> Since AMD have apparently released the specs needed to write an open
> driver for them I thought it might be worth supporting them this time
> around, but I'm not sure what the current state of ATI support looks like.

For the Free Software drivers (i.e. NOT the proprietary fglrx):
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon

In short, r1xx up to r5xx series are now supported with 2D (XRender) and 3D
(OpenGL) acceleration. In marketing names, that's up to X1950 (rule of
thumb: if it doesn't have "HD" in it, it should be supported - the HD*
models (r6xx/r7xx) and the X2300 HD which appears to be some sort of hybrid
between the r5xx architecture and some r6xx or r7xx one are not supported).

        Kevin Kofler