Re: F-10 xmodmap/xkeycaps problem -

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:
One indication that it does not work is that when I run /usr/bin/xmodmap
-e 'keycode 116=degree' in F-9 the key to the right of the right ALT key
produces a degree ° symbol.

The same command in F-10 makes it useless, that same key does nothing
and the cursor down arrow key  generates the degree symbol instead as
well as no longer moving the cursor making it impossible to navigate
though a file listing.

You're hardcoding a keycode number, but evdev uses different keycodes.

        Kevin Kofle

The correct keycodes can be displayed with "xev." I was able to make changes accordingly. Most important
is keycode 66 which disables the "Caps Lock" key.

   /usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 134=degree'
   /usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 135=mu'
   /usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 66=NoSymbol'

Thanks for the pointer.  A simple solution but I have
struggled with it for a while.

Bob