Re: Since when doesn't Fedora use xorg.conf ?

Antonio Olivares wrote:

--- On Fri, 2/20/09, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa gmail com> wrote:

From: Arthur Pemberton <pemboa gmail com>
Subject: Re: Since when doesn't Fedora use xorg.conf ?
To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list redhat com>
Date: Friday, February 20, 2009, 10:40 PM
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Linuxguy123
<linuxguy123 gmail com> wrote:
There are all sorts of posts associated with the
"Disabling mouse taps
on Fedora 10" thread that state that Fedora 10
doesn't use an xorg.conf

When did Fedora/X stop using an xorg.conf file ?

It certainly isn't mentioned in the F10 release
How and where are the X system settings set and held
now ?

A few releases ago Xorg starting pretending to be too smart
for an
xorg.conf. It has been very very annoying for me.

Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )

While I can concur *Sometimes it is annoying*, on 9 out of 10 machines that I run Fedora 10 on, I don't have xorg.conf and things are working great.  But there is an exception, the one with ATI built in the motherboard, I get very bad resolution 640x480(not even 800x600) that there is a need for it :)

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]

I just tried to install Fedora on another machine with similar built in only that lspci reports it as ATI Radeon 200 and it is a no go, even with Text INSTALL, so YMMV :)

Manually add "vga=0x318" or "vga=ask" to the startup line at the initial boot, and it should let you select 800x600 or higher.

I have a Mobile X1250 and I get my choice of framebuffers, vesa or radeondrmfb, each of which is really slow. I have resisted adding vendor drivers, I don't do games so it's not a real issue.

Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>