Re: Has anybody else been experiencing problems with F10 hanging?

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Kevin Martin <kevintm ameritech net> wrote:
> I'm getting some strange things happening on F10 lately.  In a terminal
> session if I "ps -ef" or "w" or "ls" or anything of that nature the
> command runs (sometimes) but never returns the prompt.  Also, my loadavg
> seems to go sky high but  "top" doesn't necessarily show anything using
> much CPU (actually, top will often show that  my cpu utilization is 90+%
> idle while my loadavg is upwards of 10).  I can usually shutdown my
> "gui"fied apps (like Thunderbird, Firefox, VirtualBox) but if I try and
> reboot the reboot hangs while trying to shutdown "automount" and I have
> to cycle the power on the box.  I'm running the latest updates including
> kernel 2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10.i686.  Any thoughts or suggestions are
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kevin

Try connecting remotely: are you able to login cleanly? can you issue
commands such as 'pf -ef' in the remote terminal?
I had a similar problem a bit ago and it was related to a large number
of ssh processes "hanging around". I kill them all and it was all fine.
Check the logs, your problem could be due to several other reasons.
As mentioned earlier: don't forget the simple stuff.
Check that the /, /tmp or /var filesystems are ok and not full.
Some systems slow down when they overheat: check the fans.
If you don't have enough physical memory, make sure to have enough
swap space.

~af