How To Use Monitor Connected To Laptop At Desired Resolution

I have a Dell 1907FP LCD monitor connected to my Dell Latitude E6400
laptop via the VGA port on the side. (Too bad it isn't HDMI,  but one
can't have everything.) The video card is detected as an 'nVidia
Corporation unknown (0x06eb)' by system-config-display.

What I want xorg to do is to recognize that there are two displays
running: the laptop's native display and the Dell 1907FP, and use each
of these displays at the resolutions they can support. Indeed, I want
to  be able to connect an external Dell 2407WFP display as well, and
have xorg detect which of the two external monitors is being used, and
drive the external monitor at the resolution it uses best such as 1920 x
1200.

How do I do that?

Thanks

Bob Cochran