Force to update to f10, but yum can't bring it into synch.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 27 03:56:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 22:37 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I killed x trying to make this )*(&%$ video card work so I put the f10 dvd in
> and updated it to F10.
>
> Two immediate problems.
>
> 1. Grub must have miss-fired, all I get is the grub shell and I have to enter
> all the boot data line by line in order to boot.  Is that a fresh grub-
> install?
----
that hasn't been a commonly reported problem with F10 but after you boot
up, have you run 'grub-install /dev/sda' to ensure that grub is properly
installed? What does /boot/grub/grub.conf look like?
----
> 2. Yum wants to update 435 packages, but many dependencies stop it.  What is
> the f10 procedure to bring that up to speed now?
----
you probably have some packages that have to be manually removed that
are blocking the update.

You probably want to check out this page
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq even if you used the DVD or
preupgrade to install the update as this has a lot of information useful
like 'clean stuff' section and various issues going from like 8=>9 or
9=>10

Craig