X fails to start after recent update

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Feb 27 16:27:54 UTC 2009

| From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200902 at gmail.com>

| "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh at mimosa.com> writes:
| > I don't know which update is the problem.  Certainly one in the alst
| > few days.
|
| Try reverting the Xorg server back one notch.  That is what worked for
| me.
|
|     rpm -Uvh --oldpackage xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.3-6.fc10.x86_64.rpm
|
| (I have keepcache=1 in /etc/yum.conf so the old rpm was sitting around
| in /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/ .)

Were your symptoms like mine or did you hit a different problem?

Have you found or created a bugzilla entry for your problem?

I hope to get the time to do the bugzilla thing (i.e. add to a
previous report or create a new one) in the next couple of days.

I found that I could get my system up and running by reverting two
packages.  I guessed that they depend on each other so I reverted
both:
  xorg-x11-server-common-1.5.3-13.fc10.x86_64
  xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.3-13.fc10.x86_64
The previous version was 1.5.3-6.fc10.

Do you know if you can mix and match different levels of
xorg-x11-server-common and xorg-x11-server-Xorg?
server-Xorg requires server-common, and not the reverse, but I don't
know how to query about version constraints.

I fetched the old versions from koji.  Handy facility:

You can see the change history from the new version's koji page:
If I had to guess which change caused the problem, I'd pick this one:

    * Mon Dec 22 2008 Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> 1.5.3-8
    - xserver-1.5.3-aspect-me-harder.patch: Fix mode selection when only one
      monitor is present and it doesn't claim a preferred mode.
    - xserver-1.5.0-bad-fbdev-thats-mine.patch: Do the same for sbus that we
      do for pci.
    - xserver-1.5.0-hide-cursor.patch: Backport fixes to unhide logic from master.