Sharing yum between several machines

Basically, I would like a system where yum looks first
in a /common/yum/ directory NFS-mounted on several machines,
and if it does not find what it is looking for
then it goes to a mirror as before,
and adds what it finds to /common/yum/ as well as installing it
on the machine in question.

Does yum have such a facility?
I googled for "yum several machines" but all the solutions suggested,
eg setting up a local mirror, seemed to me excessive for my purposes.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net