Re: Resizing NTFS partition to make room for FC10

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Tod Thomas wrote:
Thanks.  I thought that recreating the partition using fdisk would have
accomplished the same thing - no?  If not what does the fdisk process I
followed
do or not do?

Tod

It will if you create a new partition table that reflects the new
disk size, and do not copy the mbr from the larger disk. You will
need to re-install the Windows boot loader to the mbr of the new
drive, or install the Grub boot loader there, and use it to select
Windows or Linux.

Mikkel
Ok, I think I understand:

/dev/hda - spare 80GB drive
/dev/hdb - old 150GB xp drive (primary partition ntfsresized to 20GB)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

fdisk /dev/hda
- create new primary partition(hda1), bootable, type 7 (NTFS)
- this then creates the windows MBR?

dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/hda1 bs=10000000 count=2000
 - copies resized xp partition to new drive

Reboot to new drive and all is well. Defragging is factored in somewhere prior to this operation. I think upon reboot this will trigger xp to perform a chkdisk.
Does this make sense?

- Tod