Re: Network changing from eth0 to eth1

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Roberto Ragusa wrote:
FWIW, I just discovered how useful can be a manually modified
70-persistent-net.rules file.

You can map MAC addresses to interface names and completely remove
the HWADDR from ifcfg-eth? files.

In my case this is perfect because I want to have *two* different
NICs as eth0 (not at the same time, obviously), two NICs as eth1,
two NICs as eth2.

I didn't think it could be so easy to have a configuration with
3 NICs (it's a firewall machine) and have the ability, in case of
a hardware problem, to just remove the disk from the failed machine,
put it into a backup machine and have the new 3 NICs automatically
assigned to the correct interface names so everything works with
no reconfiguration.

Thanks - that is one I didn't think of. I can use that on my USB
drive so that it uses eth0 on any known computer I plug it in to. I
will have to try doing the same thing for CD/DVD drives.

Interesting thought, I could put my firewall install on the USB key, and for failover just move it to another machine.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>