Re: Help... Can't boot!

On 03/01/09 13:24, John Aldrich wrote:
Quoting Stuart <stuart sjsears com>:

At which point does it say that?
Do you get as far as the grub menu?

Partition type 0x5 is an 'Extended' partition. (/dev/sda4 or
equivalent, usually) - this suggests to me that your grub.conf is
incorrect, probably containing a line similar to
root (hd0,3)

But you can see this (I hope) by hitting 'e' at boot time, assuming you
get as far as the grub countdown/menu.

Grub.conf is as follows:

root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz- ro
root=UUID=1acff5c4-7a23-414a-9e04-f356c64e24bd rhgb quiet

initrd /initrd-

device.map is as follows:
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb

When it tries to boot, I get the following (it skips the grub menu --
it's the only install there):
root (hd1,0)
fs type unknown, partition type 0x5.

okay, what I would do here is use the grub console to find /boot...

in case you don't know how:

hit 'c' to bring up the console

type root (hd <TAB>
grub should fill in the disks it can see (hopefully hd0/1/2)

for each of those, try
root (hdX,<TAB>

which should give you the partition layouts and types

then for each of the (hdX,0) partitions, try

kernel (hdX,0)/ <TAB>

one of them should have your vmlinuz- file on it. use that one in your "root (hdX,0)" statement.

hit <ESC> to get back to the menu and edit the 'root' statement accordingly. See if it works after that.

I think, from your previous post, that you may be pointing grub at what you think is sdc, which may only have
sdc1 - Extended
sdc5 - first logical partition

on it.

I had a similar issue with the installer seeing my disks in a different order to what I expected.

Stuart Sears RHCA etc.
"It's today!" said Piglet.
"My favourite day," said Pooh.