Activate second volume group at boot

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Jan 4 10:36:51 UTC 2009

On 03/01/09 23:09, Eric Brunson wrote:
> I have an external drive that I've created a second volume group on.
>  I've done a bit of poring over the init scripts in my /etc and in
> the initrd image, but there doesn't seem to be any facility to
> activate anything but VolGroup00 during the boot sequence.

what do you mean by 'activate' ?

acknowledge the existence of?

okay, just add the usb-storage module to your initrd.
something like this should do the trick:

mkintrd --with="usb-storage" -v -f /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img \
$(uname -r)

then reboot with the disk plugged in and turned on.

The script within the initrd does a 'vgscan' so as long as the pv is
visible, the volumegroup *should* appear. It will not be automatically
mounted.

if you want the vg to be detected whenever you attach the external drive
then  a udev rule with a RUN= instruction (that runs pvscan and vgscan)
might do this for you.

> There's something in the netfs script, but from what I can
> unconvolute (comments in code are a Good Thing[tm]), it's not what
> I'm looking for. I can write my own init script, but I was wondering
> if there's already a facility to do it that I've missed, I prefer to
> use the Fedora Way if it exists.

incidentally, *why* have you put a volumegroup on an external disk?
Seems like an odd thing to do.

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.