ssh clarification needed

I frequently use ssh+keys to do yum updates on my server, but I've not used it
on other parts of the LAN.  Now I want to, and I realise that I'm not clear on
one very important point.

Is a ssh key specific to a computer, or to a user?  That is, does my key
pertain to any box on the lan, as long as I'm the user?  Or is it machine
specific - in which case I would think that every user would have the same
key, which seems unlikely.  Then again, is it a combination of user and
computer, in which case every user needs a specific key on every box he uses
(assuming that he may want to ssh to other boxes).

I suspect that the last case is the correct one, but I want to be sure.
Thanks

Anne