Re: X with neither KDE nor Gnome

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 06:35:07 -0500
Dave Feustel <dfeustel mindspring com> wrote:

> I am experimenting with various niche window managers. I have removed
> all KDE software and XFCE still runs ok. Can I also delete all of
> gnome software without impacting XFCE? Usually I run only Xterm and
> Firefox.

Depends on what you mean by 'all gnome software'.

Xfce uses many of the same lower level libraries and tools as gnome
does. So, for example, you couldn't remove gtk2 or the like.
Higher level applications should be removable.

Personally with disk space so cheap these days, I wouldn't bother
trying to remove packages just for the sake of removing them.

> Thanks.

kevin