Problem with xorg evdev mouse in newer kernels

I first noticed this a while back, and it caused me to hold on to an older kernel for a while, but I've since had to move on for other reasons, so I've got to tackle this now.

I have a Logitech MX-3000 wireless keyboard/mouse. The mouse has a no. of buttons on the side, and a scroll wheel that also nudges left and right (to horiz. scroll). I'd managed to get this mostly working using an evdev config. in xorg.conf, but as of, I think, kernel 2.6.25 this hasn't been working (still true in latest). I'm on F8 still, ATM, looking to jump to F10, but I don't expect a fix there.

I did test that *only* switching the kernel made the difference (by rebooting/reselecting). Essentially, the no. of working buttons dropped.

I've since managed to tweak it so that I can get most of the actual buttons back, but the wheel-nudge isn't generating anything (xev).

What should I be looking at? Is evdev not the correct way to go? Using the older "ExplorerPS/2" setting doesn't even seem to give me as many buttons as I can now get via evdev.

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature