Fedora Live USB seems to have expiry date

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 6 03:57:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 00:46 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> It's a 9.99USD Microcenter USB flash drive, approximately a month
> since purchase. I was expecting more utility out of it, in spite of
> the limitations on the number of writes, considering the age of the
> drive.
>
> When it works it works, but then the spurious errors come about, and
> the drive needs to be reimaged.

I would have thought that a drive that's corrupting could only be
continued to be used if it had spare memory cells (so to speak).  As it
loses bits (pun intended) the total available memory would diminish.
Eventually, going beyond the point of no return.

An obvious avoidance of the problem might be two USB sticks.  One for a
read-only system (temporarily made read/write for updates) and a second
for user data.  That way heavy use of one doesn't mess up your system.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.