Re: USB stick with ext2?

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed Greshko greshko com> wrote:
> With the USB mounted become root....  Then "chown alan /media/disk".
> The ownership information is maintained in the ext2 structure.  So, the
> next time it is mounted it will retain ownership by alan.

I find this acceptable. At least my source code files aren't
executable, as they pretend to be with vfat.

A better system for removable media would be for the root folder owner
be changed to that of the console user, as it appears to happen with
vfat mounts. That way, the media could be truly portable with minimum
fuss.

Actually, that leads me to my solution! Just do chmod 777 on the thumb
drive's root folder and it all behaves the way I want. Anybody can
create files or folders on the device, and read/write permissions are
sensibly handled.

Thanks for all the input, guys!