HiJacking Threads Was: hostapd for Fedora 10

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 6 17:21:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 12:16 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Can you give a specific example where the MUA uses the References
> header to display messages (i.e. derives some information from it that
> is not present in the In-Reply-To header, other than simply copying it
> to further replies)?

You can test for that yourself with any collection of messages belonging
to a thread, remove the messages linked directly together by the
in-reply-to headers.  (Copy a thread to a test folder, remove the every
second generation of messages.)

If the mailer manages to keep the related messages grouped together as a
related thread, even without messages being linked as replies to another
message, then it's using the reference headers.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.